“Yukon in Autumn – Colours of the North”
Photo Tour – 7 nights
7 nights / 8 days | August 27 to September 3/2017 | $2990 + 5% GST per person
minimum participants: 5 | maximum participants: 8 – SOLD OUT !
based on shared accommodation | single supplement available for $700
- Airport pick-up and drop off
- 7 nights accommodation (on per person sharing basis)
- All transportation during photo trip
- All fees and permits
- One-on-one photographic instruction
- Individual Guiding, Experienced driver and Photo guide
- Beverages, lunch and snacks for day tours
Not Included in the arrangement
- Flights to and from Whitehorse
- Beverages and Meals other then stated above
- Travel insurance, Trip cancelation & medical insurance: We strongly recommend you purchase adequate insurance coverage at the time of booking. Your policy should cover injury, illness or death, trip cancelation, emergency medical, search & rescue, flight accident, travel accident, loss of baggage and personal effects.
- Cold Weather clothing. ( rental is available, please book early ! )
- Equipment insurance
- Personal Extras
- Taxes (GST 5%)
- All rates in Canadian Dollar and per Person + 5% GST
You will arrive in Whitehorse and we will pick you up and will bring you to your accommodation at the Best Western Gold Rush Inn in Downtown. Once everyone has arrived, we will get together and welcome everyone and do a quick equipment check and Wolfgang will give an introduction on the tour details and photographing the Northern Lights and some of the other scenes we will be experiencing on this photo trip. The evening is free to explore the “Wilderness City” on your own.
After an early breakfast we will be out on the road, heading north on the Klondike Highway towards Dawson City. On the way up we will visit the Five Finger Rapids on the majestic Yukon River. This scene makes for some amazing images. On our drive to Dawson we will frequently stop to shoot the fall colours. We will have lunch on the road and in the late afternoon we will arrive in the legendary Gold Rush Town. After checking in in the Aurora Inn hotel and a quick walk around, get ready for dinner and then if the sky is clear we will head out to shoot the Aurora in the evening on top of the Midnight Dome.
We start the day with an early breakfast and then will cross over the Yukon River for shooting the beauty of the mountains as the sun rises from the “Top of the World” Highway. The area will give us a very good chance to see and photograph caribous on their way to the winter range. Back from the Top of the World, we will then have lunch and after lunch, we will do a photowalk in Dawson. We will walk through some of the historical parts of town capturing the sights, colours and textures of Dawson City. We will gather together for a coffee afterwards and then get back to the hotel. After Dinner and if the sky is clear, we will drive out to the Midnight Dome again for an evening shooting of the stars and Aurora.
This will be another early morning start. We leave the hotel after breakfast and head towards Tombstone Provincial Park. The scenery here is breathtaking and we have selected some great places to shoot. The Upper Klondike River Valley is a magnificent scene, we will stop at the Blackstone River Uplands, at the Sapper Hills and other spectacular locations on our way to Eagle Plains and the Arctic Circle. We will stop for the night at the Eagle Plains Motel and after dinner we will drive again to the Arctic Circle to shoot the Northern Lights from our northernmost point of this trip.
We start the day with a hearty breakfast at the Eagle Plains Motel and then we have the full day for the drive back to Dawson City with many stops and short walks to fine locations for our shoots of the Mountain Scenery and the Tundra in the best Fall Colours. If we are lucky we will get nice shots from a Moose in one of the countless Tundra Lakes or a Grizzly foreaging on the Mountain Slopes. We will arrive right in time to check in in the hotel in Dawson. This evening we will head for a different location on the other side of the River for the Northern lights shooting.
This will be another early morning start. We leave the hotel after breakfast and head towards Keno, the legendary mining town on the Silver Trail. The scenery here is stunning and breathtaking and Keno Mountain is a great places to shoot fantastic photos. We will have dinner and stay overnight in Keno. After dinner and if the sky is clear, we will head out to Keno Mountain for the night shot of the Aurora.
We will leave the hotel after breakfast and head back on the Silver Trail and the Klondike Highway towards Whitehorse where we will arrive after several photo stops in the early afternoon. We will have time to see the highlights of the Capital City or do some Souvenir Shopping in Main Street before we come together for our last dinner and maybe a drink to review the last seven days of this amazing Fall Colour Trip to the Arctic.
After breakfast, transfer with the hotel shuttle to the airport.
Important Trip Notes
- Average temperatures at this time of the year range between +15° to – 5° Celsius (59 to 23 Fahrenheit), but colder temperatures can reach as low as -15° Celsius (5 Fahrenheit). It is very important to bring adequate clothing to withstand these temperatures. Upon request you can rent special winter clothes packages for this trip (please ask for a quote and book well in advance).
- We provide all necessary emergency equipment for traveling on this remote wilderness highway, including satellite phone.
- On this tour there is a possibility that there may be last-minute changes to the itinerary due to the nature of the excursion and the road conditions. We may experience unforeseen delays due to weather or other reasons. We certainly will do our best to provide an alternate program of equivalent importance and of a similar nature if needed.
- You will be required to sign a ‘release of claims and waiver of liability’ form at the time of booking.
What skill level is required?
This photography experience is suitable for photographers of every level of experience. However, before you come, make sure you are comfortable operating all your gear outdoors and at night. We will be focussed on inspiration and the creation of compelling imagery rather than on instruction of digital photography. We also recommend having good knowledge of digital photo processing software such as Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop or similar. You should know how to use your camera on manual mode. You should understand how to change your ISO settings, aperture, shutter speed and know how to read the light meter in your camera. You should know how to shoot exposures of a few seconds long or more. You will receive detailed insights and instruction on each shoot. You will be helped with your shot setup where necessary and a discussion of your settings will be explored during each shoot.
Fitness rating and difficulty?
We will be driving close to all shooting locations, however, there is some walking necessary and you should feel comfortable walking with your camera equipment in backcountry situations and on uneven or potentially slippery surface.
What photography gear will you need?
- Camera – DSLR or Mirrorless
- Spare Batteries with Charger or Battery Pack
- A selection of lenses – Wide angle lenses (min. f/4 or faster) to medium range zoom lenses
- Tripod – sturdy and weather resistant with ball head
- Cable Release or wireless remote
- cleaning equipment
- Headlamp or Flashlight with red-light setting
Also good to have!
- ND and ND graduated filters (for day-time landscape photography)
- Laptop Computer with photo processing software (if available)
Terms & Conditions for Northern Lights Resort & SPA and Yukon Photo Tours – Photography tours
Registration, Payment and Deposit:
The individual, company or travel agency responsible for the booking of an individual reservation must secure payment with a Visa or MasterCard at the time of booking. American Express Cards require a 2% surcharge of the booking costs.
The following is required at the time of booking:
• 50% deposit (see terms of refund of deposit under the “Cancellation and Refund Policy” section
• Registration and Waiver Forms
• Terms and Conditions Form
The balance of all monies due (after deposit) must be paid 91 days prior to the photo trip The trip price is based on per person sharing; single supplement is available.
We strongly suggest that all of our participants consider the purchase of travel insurance for protection against cancelation penalties.
All Rates are in Canadian dollars and subject to 5% GST.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Northern Lights Resort & SPA and Yukon Photo Tours cannot be held responsible for delays caused by Acts of God, strikes, weather, aircraft delays or other causes beyond its reasonable control. Yukon Photo Tours will endeavour to provide all services as shown in the Photo Tour description, however all activities are subject to weather conditions and may be cancelled, postponed or changed at the sole discretion of Northern Lights Resort & SPA or Yukon Photo Tours or its guide or instructor. In case of force majeure such as flight cancellations or delays, travel disruptions, weather delays or a force beyond its control Northern Lights Resort & SPA or Yukon Photo Tours is not liable to refund any moneys paid.
Terms if you cancel:
If cancellation is received up to 91 days before departure and your spot is occupied by another participant, you may receive a full refund, less a $100 administration fee. If you cancel less than 91 days before the date of the photo tour and your space can not be filled with another participant, you will not receive a refund.
Cancellations must be made by email or regular mail only and has to be confirmed by Northern Lights Resort & SPA or Yukon Photo Tours in writing! Cancelations made by telephone will NOT be accepted.
Terms if we cancel:
Should there be insufficient bookings to make this trip economically viable, we will unfortunately cancel the trip. If Northern Lights Resort & SPA or Yukon Photo Tours cancels the trip, all monies pertaining to the photo trip (excluding other arrangements made e.g. flight tickets) made to Northern Lights Resort & SPA or Yukon Photo Tours will be refunded in full. Notice of trip cancellation will be given no less than 90 days before the start of the trip.